Wednesday, May 6, 2009

She's here!!!

Today we were scheduled for a c-section. We were supposed to be at the hospital at 6am but we didn't make it until about 6:45. I was hoping they weren't going to make me wait another week or something because we were late. lol Anyway, they got me all ready for the surgery and brought me into the operating room at 8am and at 8:30 we got to see our newest little princess.

Angela Catherine

7 lbs 12 oz          21" long

IMG_5756 IMG_5755 IMG_5750

She checked out perfect!!!

 

There is a rumor going around that I had some difficulties.    Here is what happened...

Towards the end of the c-section I started to have some difficulty breathing. Then it started to feel like my chest was being crushed. While I was being stitched up my heart rate started to go up... a lot. At this point I was only a little concerned that I couldn't catch my breath.      My doc had to do an abbreviated stitch job as they were concerned that I might have had a pulmonary embolism.  Now I was thinking, hmm this could be bad... good thing I'm in a hospital.   Right after they were done stitching me, they brought me to have a CT of me lungs. I had to keep my eyes closed for that... I'm a little claustrophobic. Then they brought me to the ICU to wait. We found out it was not a pulmonary embolism. But my heart went into atrial fibrillation. That caused my BP to drop. It was bad enough that they told me they needed to shock my heart to get it back into a normal rhythm. When they said "shock your heart" this normally calm unshakable person that I am got scared! Good thing they only gave me about 30 seconds to think about it. That's how long it took them to sedate me so they could shock my heart. It worked, when I woke up my heart was back to normal. I was sleepy and very nauseous for a few hours after, then I felt just like my old self again. What caused it is still unknown. The doctor said it could have been placenta that got into my blood, which will remain a mystery if that was the case. Or it could have been from some underlying heart problem, possibly from my type of Muscular Dystrophy. If that is the reason, than it will most likely happen again sometime in my life. My doc said could even be decades later but most likely it will happen again.

So, that's the birth story for baby Angela.

And yes, I am appreciating all my babies a lot more these days!!

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Congratulations!!!
She is beautiful.
I'm sure the boys aren't too bummed about being outnumbered.
Glad to hear they were able to "shock" you back to normalcy...
hey, what is normalcy, anyway?
Pax Christi, Elizabeth

Kathy said...

Congratulations!! She is beautiful. I'm sorry for your hard time though.

mommeeof10 said...

Wow, your delivery sounds scary! Rosalie (12 weeks) was an unplanned c-section, because my water broke early, but no real contractions and they did not want to induce, since I am old, have had lots of babies and the last one was a c-section also. She is growing fine, but still does not nurse effectively. I'm starting to hate my pump. :)

Damama T said...

SHE IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Congratulations to you and the whole family.