Friday, May 30, 2008

In The Belly of the Whale

I think I know what Jonah felt like when he was swallowed by a whale. Since we put our house on the market we have been going through things, and getting rid of everything we don't need or want to move. Which is a huge part of our house. The worst so far was going through the toys. I think we spent about three months on sorting all the toys that contain 1,362 pieces each.

 

OK, so maybe it was only like 6 days. Surely it would have been longer if our realtor hadn't called and said, "Can we show your house tonight?" That was Wednesday of this week. That was a stressful day, but I am thankful we have people at least interested in the house, and it was a great motivator to get that daunting task done. No thanks to the kids, I might add. Their theme song through this whole ordeal has been "We are the Pirates Who Don't Do Anything"

 

Now we have a new rule for our household. No toys are allowed to enter that contain 1,362 pieces. Those toys that only have 2 pieces.... we MAY consider those. Depending on the mood of the day.

Back to the belly we will go, and onward we will trudge until we've got the whole belly house cleaned out.

1 comment:

mommeeof10 said...

We have way too many toys in our house. The bad part about having an old house and lots of storage space in the attic is the tendancy to put everything into the attic that we don't want to deal with right now. I went up there this morning with my 2 and 4 yr old to finish picking up the toys that were dumped in one area. It took over an hour to move stuff, sweep, pick up and put up toys and put the bins back were they belong. I have at least 4 more hours to move and sweep the rest of the floor. Then, I will move stuff where I want it to be stored, not where it got dropped as soon as the kids stepped into the attic. I have one 18 Gallon tote of toys I picked up to wash with bleach or lysol to get them clean. Then I will resort them all on top of a clean sheet. If they are all in the correct containers- waffle blocks together, play dough toys together, etc, it seems to be much easier to just get down one toy and put up another bin.